[HOT] HOT's Mission

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Sun Oct 2 02:36:31 BST 2011

I think with some of your questions Mikel maybe we can use a pragmatic
approach.  Meaning when a project comes up we ask a couple questions:

1. Is there someone who can lead this project competently and within
the methodologies that HOT uses?
2. Does this project fit into the goals of open geodata and further
collection/access to it (should probably be specifically related to
OpenStreetMap of course)?
3. Will taking on this project greatly lessen the ability of HOT to
response to already existing projects or activations?

I have heard some concern about working on projects lessening people's
ability to help with activations.  For me personally I don't think
that has been the case. Since project work has become my full-time job
it has given me the flexibility to work on long-term activities
related to activations.  For example negotiating for better imagery
licensing, participating in planning activities with UN agencies as
well as work on general structure for HOT.  If I wasn't working on
projects I'd have some other job where I wouldn't be working on things
related to HOT at all.  So I think it is a matter of what people are
going to do with their time.

As we approach donors for sustainability funding I would suggest
though we work in budget for having people be able to focus on
activations when necessary.  Especially in cases where they last a
longtime and people begin to need to return their focus to paid work
of some sort.  During Haiti I was very fortunate that my employer at
the time allowed me to work on things not at all related to my job for
about a month afterward.  Many others got at least a week or so to do
that same.  Still others stayed up late nights helping.  That has not
happened for disasters since and is unlikely to happen for many of
them.

-Kate