[HOT] HOT's Mission

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 04:07:57 BST 2011

I am very happy to know that HOT is looking at the more strategic and
long term objectives of the group.  This is a great affirmation of
what an "adhoc" group can achieve and contribute to in the long term.

Some of my personal thoughts below:

The Haiti and Indonesian experience provides a wealth of insights on
how HOT should engage with humanitarian work and international
economic development.
I do believe that HOT should enable local capacity and should not in
any way "compete" with local initiatives.  For example, there maybe
local efforts to using OSM data in humanitarian work and local
development.  HOT should in a way support them rather than creating
new projects towards a similar goal.

In my country, there are numerous efforts on participatory GIS
(although not necessarily OSM) within various organizations, perhaps
HOT can work with these existing orgs?

One great strength of HOT is the visibility of its efforts in major
international aid groups (such as the UN), perhaps HOT can support
local initiatives to link with these international groups?

HOT can also focus on a wide range of advocacy areas that can assist
local groups in enhancing the map.  For example, imagery availability
during activation (I know some of the board are working on already).

Just some ideas you might consider.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Lisa Sweeney <lsweenstar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with what Aaron stated and in my opinion education could be
> considered a part of economic development.
>
> -Lisa
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Aaron Huslage <huslage at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It stands to reason that Development work improves our ability to function
>> long-term by allowing us to create the infrastructure we need. We can
>> operate more efficiently and broaden our talent pool, adding to our
>> capacity.

cheers,
maning