[HOT] Including natural hazards in the HOSM data model?

Stéphane Henriod s at henriod.info
Wed Apr 4 15:14:02 BST 2012

Hello,

I am relatively new to OSM and completely new to Humanitarian OSM but
extremely enthusiastic about both projects and would like to contribute in
a way that I will describe below, and for which I would appreciate your
feedback and ideas.

Most humanitarian actors agree that the best response to an emergency is
preparedness, not only in terms of behaviors but also data. What strikes me
when I look at HOSM data
model<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/Humanitarian_Data_Model>is
that I don't see anything for natural hazard delineation, for example.
When responding to a crisis, humanitarian actors might want to know in
advance where to expect landslides, avalanches and floods areas (for their
own safety but also to "predict" where roads might be blocked or where
facilities might have been affected). Seismic zonation is something that
can be directly included in OSM; oldish data is freely available from the GSHAP
project <http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/static/GSHAP/>, while the GlobalEarthquake
Model <http://www.globalquakemodel.org> will provide with a more modern
version in a few years.

My question to the active and experienced members of the community is thus
the following: *would you see any relevance to develop classes for natural
(and man-made?) hazards to be included in HOSM framework?*

As we can not expect the communities to have the technical knowledge of
hazard scientists, the ontology would have to remain quite simple, which is
probably ok for humanitarian actors (who cares whether it's a landslide, a
rockfall or a debris flow? a general category "earth mass movement" might
be sufficient for our purpose). Also, a distinction should be made between
"usual" events (those that occur relatively frequently but that might or
might not be currently triggered) and actual events (that have been
actually triggered).

Many challenges ahead but before diving into it, I would like to check with
you if this idea has already been discussed and if it makes sense to pursue
it.

Thanks a lot in advance and look forward to reading your comments,

Stéphane

--
"Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux"
-- Albert Einstein

"A journey does not need reasons. Before long, it proves to be reason
enough in itself. One thinks that one is going to make a journey, yet soon
it is the journey that makes or unmakes you." -- Nicolas Bouvier

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info