[HOT] Mali follow-up: OrbView-3 image of Mopti available

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Sun Apr 8 09:47:18 BST 2012

Yes Fred, you are perfectly right, the image is shifted by about 20
meters to the east.
 From the GPS tracks, it is actually much easier to adjust globally the
image with JOSM offset function than it would be with the tools I have
(that would rather work well with a few accurate ground control points
known with some degree of confidence).
And with the perspective of processing more than a thousand OV-3 images
available over North-Mali/Azawad alone, it would be completely
untractable to correct this on the server side, for each image. It is
more realistic to stick to the standard process used, eg, with Bing
images, and manually adjust the offset on the client side.
To ensure that a uniform offset is used over the appropriate area, it
would be easier to coordinate, eg on this list. As a data point to start
building a consensus, the offset I came up with last night, when trying
to get a rough estimate for its value (20 m, like you), was -23.07; -1.28 .

A thing I had forgotten to say is that people who find interesting OV-3
images on earthexplorer, for example because they cover a town, are
welcome to share this info. (Like Fred did for the Mopti image). An
online shared spreadsheet is available for this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiGw62ddccqhdEZ4Vi1hVmRKNmVseHpFOWVrdWR2Nmc#gid=5
(You can also use other means if you don't like its location)
Depending on how things go, I might adjust priorities between handling
manually a few images, or working on a script for batch processing of
many images.

Happy Easter to all those who celebrate it.

Jean-Guilhem