[HOT] Padang Mapping Task

Martin Holmgren d95marty at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 11:36:44 BST 2012

Hi all!

On May 9th I'll be giving a short introduction to OSM, HOT and mapping using Potlatch 2 to a group of mostly GIS and IT professionals here in West Sweden. My idea is to have the participants take tasks in Padang using the tasking manager and do some tracing of buildings. To me it seems like a perfect introduction both to OSM and HOT as tracing and tagging buildings requires a minimum of knowledge about tagging schemes (basically "building=yes, source=...") and the more complex aspects of the data model.

In my own mapping I have used both the Digital Globe imagery and Bing Aerials, where I have tried to offset Bing to match the previous traces with Digital Globe as source. Now, reading the (about two months old) discussion below, I guess I rather should have either

a) according to Jaakko's view: kept Bing in its original position and used the source tag to allow for adjustment at a later stage, when we have background material that is more consistent or
b) avoided using Bing altogether, based on Kate's suggestion.

Even if b) would give a more consistent map, I see a couple of problems, both in general and pertaining to my planned mapping activity:

- the Bing (as opposed to the Digital Globe) imagery is available also on zoom level 19, which makes it considerably easier to do tracing.
- manually adding the Digital Globe images is an extra barrier to getting going. (ok, in the case of our mapping activity it could be managed, since they will all be computer savvy)
- with Bing imagery available directly in Potlatch there is a risk that people who either don't use the task manager, or who miss reading the instructions, do tracing using Bing unknowing of the Digital Globe material.

My question is therefore: is it ok for us to trace using Bing (tagged "source=Bing Aerial") with no offset, or should we still take the extra step of configuring the Digital Globe imagery in Potlatch?

I'd love to get this as right as possible before having a group of people do a lot of tracing, so any suggestions on what approach to take are very welcome!

Kind regards, Martin