[HOT] HOT tutorship program for supporting OSM communities in the developing countries

Séverin MENARD severin.menard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:16:40 BST 2012

*

Hi,

Nicolas and I would like to find ways to facilitate connections between
global mappers and new communities in the developing countries. We thought
about starting a HOT tutorship program in which active members from the
community would make contact with the emergent communities we helped or
will help to start:

   -

   the communities in Haiti and Kenya and the rising one in Senegal
   -

   the future ones in the African countries (Cad, Burundi and Central
   Republic of Africa, as well as Kenya) concerned by the EUROSHA program that
   will start in October, to support both the program volunteers and the OSM
   community they will aim for creating

Experienced mappers could provide a great support regarding OSM techniques,
remote mapping, imagery setting, quality assurance, communication (OSM
wikipages, social media, etc.). Of course on a voluntary basis, according
to their chosen field and kinship towards such or such country.

Basically, this would be a different approach of what is done so far
through OSM lists where the help/advices are often limited to a specific
request. Here both sides would be presented, the local communities through
their story, members, skills, and project(s) and the tutors through their
background and their OSM experience.

So far it is a general idea for which we would like that the HOT community
provide creative inputs to sketch it in more details. I will create an OSM
Wikipage as a starting point so that everyone can contribute. *

Sincerely,
 *
*
*Severin MENARD*