[HOT] HOT tutorship program for supporting OSM communities in the developing countries

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:35:01 BST 2012

HI there,
I also see that HOT has to do with developing countries to help prevent
problems as well. I can tell you about my experience in community building
in kosovo, where I am right now organizing the fourth edition of the sfk
conference. I have some slides online on this topic, that I presented at
zagreb.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1M_FFDVPsKzQ6Z6nCr2D1MkM5iZHqov60NrR9XMYiSFM/present#slide=id.p

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bqVRJEk3aWljjzDNRXcv6wV3D3GIjasXjyzZsKHXzdk/present#slide=id.p

<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bqVRJEk3aWljjzDNRXcv6wV3D3GIjasXjyzZsKHXzdk/present#slide=id.p>
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12MvrA2564S5U6igHb9FmUZdM9zYCxIPUDSKYu_QiTKg/present

I would be willing to talk to you in detail about this and also give you
advice based on my experience here.
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12MvrA2564S5U6igHb9FmUZdM9zYCxIPUDSKYu_QiTKg/present>
mike

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Séverin MENARD <severin.menard at gmail.com>wrote:

> *
>
> Hi,
>
> Nicolas and I would like to find ways to facilitate connections between
> global mappers and new communities in the developing countries. We thought
> about starting a HOT tutorship program in which active members from the
> community would make contact with the emergent communities we helped or
> will help to start:
>

>    -
>
>    the communities in Haiti and Kenya and the rising one in Senegal
>    -
>
>    the future ones in the African countries (Cad, Burundi and Central
>    Republic of Africa, as well as Kenya) concerned by the EUROSHA program that
>    will start in October, to support both the program volunteers and the OSM
>    community they will aim for creating
>

> Experienced mappers could provide a great support regarding OSM
> techniques, remote mapping, imagery setting, quality assurance,
> communication (OSM wikipages, social media, etc.). Of course on a voluntary
> basis, according to their chosen field and kinship towards such or such
> country.
>
> Basically, this would be a different approach of what is done so far
> through OSM lists where the help/advices are often limited to a specific
> request. Here both sides would be presented, the local communities through
> their story, members, skills, and project(s) and the tutors through their
> background and their OSM experience.
>
> So far it is a general idea for which we would like that the HOT community
> provide creative inputs to sketch it in more details. I will create an OSM
> Wikipage as a starting point so that everyone can contribute. *
>

> Sincerely,
>  *
> *
> *Severin MENARD*