[HOT] RD Congo Activation for the North and South Kivus

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 17 21:38:20 GMT 2012

RDC Humanitaire, a french net-media in DR Congo, is a cluster of information about humanitarian action in the country. Following the HOT Activation for the North and South Kivus yesterday, they published today a paper about this Activation.

see http://www.rdc-humanitaire.net/
We also have reports that humanitarian NGO's on the ground and OCHA local officers are pleased with the reactivity of HOT to map the areas around Lac Kivu. To move on and help the 100,000 people displaced, the humanitarian NGO's need maps to better assess the sitution and are supporting HOT for obtaining Satellite imagery through International Charter.

The International Charter Space & Major Disasters is an international collaboration among space agencies. This system has been activated for more than 300 disasters in over 100 countries since 2000 to provide Imagery for human relief. In this context, we have presenlty discussions with OCHA and UNITAR.  The Spatial Agencies that can respond to our request have yet to be identified.

In the meantime, contributors are invited to complete the tasks that are ungoing for this Humanitarian Activation.

	* http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/117
	* http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/118
North and South Kivus coordination wiki page
English http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RD_Congo_Kivu
French http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:RD_Congo_Kivu
Spanish http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ES:RD_Congo_Kivu

Pierre