[HOT] Planning a Satellite imagery survey on a small area

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:26:56 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 1 February 2012 13:48, robert colombo <robertcolombo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Getting there i think...next xmas gift will be one ( or 8) of those and a
> few cameras...check the flight possibilities to plan an aeriasl image
>  Survey on an emergency area..Forget Drones (to expensive)..

Drones don't have to be expensive.  The tiny quadcopters are also drones.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIMGV5vtd4

flyduino.net sells the PCBs to build those tiny quadcopters.  But I
don't see their utility for aerial imaging, they have too little lift
and battery life to be useful for aerial imagery.  However you can
build a slightly bigger one for under $300 which can lift a 14
megapixel compact camera and a long range radio and take useful
photos.

At last year's CCC I have been convinced that an actual imaging
satellite can be put on orbit by amateurs at a reasonable cost.  It
*would* require a couple of people to quit their jobs and spend a
couple months of work on it, but it's a cool enough project that it
might just happen!

Cheers