[HOT] Satellite images

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Thu Feb 23 08:40:44 GMT 2012

Le 23/02/2012 08:29, robert colombo a écrit :
> Need satellite images to be used as Baseline data for libya. No
> internet connection on th4e presentation venue to log to Online
> services troiugh ArcGIS.
> Can you send me a link where to download "not-to-heavy" satellite
> images from the area in an easy and comfortable way? no need much
> resolution as it is for generic view (zoom level of 7 o 8 from GErath
> or similar).
> Let me know. Landsat 7 would do
> but something better would be recommended. Suggestions welcome!
>
> --
> Robert Colombo Llimona

Hi Robert,

You can find and download free satellite images, through a nice user
interface, on http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

There are some EO-1 images of Libya. (Resolution: 10 m panchromatic, 30
m multispectral) Maybe also some OrbView-3 (resolution: 1 m panchromatic)

If you get an EO-1, you can make a color image from the separate channel
files (for example 5, 4 and 3) with
gdal_merge.py -separate

(you might also wish to convert them to 8bit first with gdal_translate
-ot Byte -scale)

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

--