[HOT] HOT Hiring Practices Development

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Jan 4 13:59:34 GMT 2012

Okay so I see some of you don't like the ranking system.

I'm open to comments in other ways.  I'm just not sure the best way to
solicit feedback. Let me explain where I was going with this.

So I see HOT developing a couple different types of position
descriptions that people can fit into.

These are some rough descriptions, not to say that the "higher"
positions such as the project lead wouldn't do the other tasks.

-Project Lead: Responsible for writing the proposal for the project,
ensuring appropriate completion of the contract.  Involved in
recruiting and hiring of other positions needed.

-Supervisor: Responsible for running and organizing training classes
and organizing field teams.

-Assistant: Assist with training classes, accompany teams to perform
mapping, involved in data quality assurance tasks.

-Volunteer: Potentially same role as assistant as well as learning the
above roles.

I think that actually the needs are the same in a lot of countries.
Or at least the roles in Haiti and Indonesia have been pretty similar.
 Other projects that have been discussed would also need similar
roles.  I think the couple things that vary is how important (or
possible) it is to have someone who speaks the local language and has
the necessary skills.  Additionally how hard the work environment is.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

-Kate