[HOT] Paraguay floods

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 09:43:09 BST 2012

Yesterday I pinged a quick email to some folks from MapAction because they have decided to send some people to Paraguay in response to flooding there, but actually this is ongoing since April, so not a screaming urgent new disaster. And I think on the whole, because the area affected is large, it's not well suited to a big OpenStreetMapping response. For a more focussed mapping challenge see previous emails about mapping the Niger river in Mali. Plus the job in Gao of course:http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/43

But if you're interested in Paraguay...

The specific thing they're working on is digitising areas mapped as marshes from some russian raster maps. I'm not familiar with Mapstor, but I notice the croatian OSMers have worked with it. I'm guessing it's quite low scale mapping. Probably more trouble than it's worth to try to bring this into editors, but maybe someone feels differently. Anyway the MapAction guys are making good progress with digitising it (they showed me a map of marshes half-finished)

Floods are mostly hitting the two regions highlighted here: http://reliefweb.int/disaster/fl-2012-000056-pry  They sent me another map, but it's just highlighting those same two big regions. That's here on the map: http://osm.org/go/M3di5  The bing imagery coverage analyser http://bit.ly/Oc1B0o  isn't well filled-in, but look there's a bit more hi-res imagery appeared making the boundary way out-of-date, but still funny strips missing. As we see throughout the world, there's a fair amount road mapping to be done in rural Paraguay (the little airports tend to have major looking dirt tracks leading to them for example), and loads of river mapping which works well even using Landsat.

Harry