[HOT] Some thoughts about HOT Inc. (long)

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 11:49:29 BST 2012

Hi

In this lengthy screed, I think there's probably three main points to pick out.

First, there is no specific example of where the functioning of HOT has introduced a bottleneck. Really, JGC is arguing that someone can work under the HOT banner and not be accountable to any of the organization's principles or structures. That doesn't work for anyone.

Second, HOT is not a company. It's a registered US non-profit. For jobs, there is no nepotism. Any opportunity for HOT is advertised and made available publicly. There are HR procedures in place which work well. For Board members, we recognize conflicts of interest when they arise, and excuse ourselves from decision making in those cases. The main issue HOT has is that there are too few people who are both qualified and available for this kind of work.

Finally, we've been working to get our accounting systems, bookkeeping and reporting in order. Any delay in reporting financials is due to the big effort it takes for any new organization to get its accounting procedures in place. HOT is fully committed to being a transparent organization. There are weekly HOT chats where anyone is welcome to discuss anything. Board meetings often require some confidentiality, but I do think we could do better at publishing minutes.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron