[HOT] Splitting an OSM extract into multiple chunks (with Osmosis, other)?

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Sun Jul 22 05:21:35 BST 2012

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question - but what can you expect...

Is there be some simple command or other way ("bat file" or something) that
I could use to slice multiple pieces out of a given osm file (or pbf, what
ever works)?
Ideally I could just ask the system (Osmosis/whatever) to make all the
slices I want out of the data file in one go -- in stead of needing to
manually initiate each bbox, poly, or filter?

My prime interest right now is to be able to get as large as possible and
updated slices of OSM data of Hispanola to make analysis of the licence
change bot and remapping of Haiti and DR as smooth as possible.

I've attached a screenshot of BBOXes that I've sketched and tested to split
the island's data extract into 8 pieces (4 for Haiti and 4 for DR) that my
JOSM can handle.

As noted in my previous email I know (the basics of) how to use Osmosis and
Osmconvert to slice a piece (bbox, .poly or filtered slice) of an OSM
extract (thanks to Geofabrik for the extracts). And have learned the basics
of running Python and Perl scripts recently. I have some basic skills of
command line -- from 15 years ago. As is, I'm running Win7. Hoping to soon
boot to Linux, too, but that's not now -- and I really don't know how to
use it yet, anyways...

All pointers, ideas, solutions are much appreciated,
-Jaakko

--
jaakko at helleranta.com * Skype: jhelleranta * Mobile: +509-37-269154  *
http://go.hel.cc/MyProfile