[HOT] Fwd: [CrisisMappers] USIP Call for Proposals: "Participatory Digital Mapping, Local Media, and Community Engagement"

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 13:48:08 BST 2012

Given that we clearly tick the box for Participatory Digital Mapping, and have a lot to say about community engagement too, I'd say it would make sense for HOT to be submitting a grant application to USIP. There's a little more information about the mapping side of things within a PDF linked at the bottom of that site.
http://www.usip.org/grants-fellowships/priority-grant-competition

"The focus of this year’s Communication for
Peacebuilding solicitation is to support projects that
strengthen the impact of participatory digital
mapping initiatives by using local media and
community organizations to increase information
input from affected populations and information use
by relevant peacebuilding actors. "

A hard sell might be to explain what maps can offer for "peace building", but this seems to be accepted as a premise of the grant funding. I think the main challenge then is to devise a plan involving "using local media and community organisations".

Harry