[HOT] Fwd: [CrisisMappers] USIP Call for Proposals: "Participatory Digital Mapping, Local Media, and Community Engagement"

Reinier Battenberg reinier.battenberg at mountbatten.net
Wed Mar 28 07:55:20 BST 2012

Hi Robert & all,

The friend in Uganda was me, so let me put in some thoughts from the Pearl of
Africa.

First of all, Kony is *not* in Uganda anymore. At the moment there is no
immenent conflict inside Uganda that we can do peacebuilding with.

However.

There is still a lot of post-conflict support in the North of Uganda where the
LRA used to be active. About 3 years ago, the government started to move
people out of the camps they had been living in for up to 20 years. Basically,
the region is been re-populated in some areas. Skills are low (even for things
like agriculture), infrastructure is improving and there are a *lot* of
children & young people (and NGO's to help them).
If we find (in a week) the perfect partner on the ground, there is a lot we
could do in this area. In the CC, Ans de Jager & Ernst Suur from Warchild,
with whom we have been discussing ideas of integrating OSM activities into the
rebuilding of Northern Uganda. One of them is to partner with a tour operator
and organise mapping days for tourists, led by members from the local OSM
community.

My second line of thougths is land issues. Uganda has one of the fastest
growing populations in the world. It also discovered oil, recently. Add to
that a very inaccurate land-registry and extremely complicated land-ownership
laws. The next 20 years one of the main sources of conflict in Uganda will be
land issues. This is more a pre-conflict situation.
Its pretty obvious that good maps can play a vital role in these issues. I
have not found the right, concrete, project proposal ready idea for this
though. Feel free to make suggestions.

rgds,

Reinier