[HOT] Including hazards in OSM - First draft of typology and methodology

Fred fmoine at hotmail.fr
Fri May 18 15:05:33 BST 2012

Dear All,

Thanks stephane to highlight this important topics.

In a country as soon you have a good OSM spatial data, you can start to
update it andthen you can track the change.

As Stephane said, "the trend" is to focus on the vulnerability (local
capacity to resist to an hazard (doctor, hospital, Institution, food
storage, evacuation point, etc...) element at risk (Chemical industry,
hospital , school with how many people during the day and the night) ,
anthropization (obstacles in a canal, building in a ravine, stomework
who block a river).. .

In haiti, on the last COSMHA DRR preset (see also Severin /Nicolas and
Cosmha), we put a lot effort to collect, store, share and visualize
several information, useful for the risks management, on osm and use it
for DRR project. (we connect also several database from our partner or
download from haitidata.org)

I am sure, we have several countries where those basic information are
not available easily and in each crisis or event, people are collecting
it again and again. Or people are making GIS participatory on paper or
other and is not shared or store in an appropriate place.

Of course each time we need to adjust our methodology when we are
conducing a risk assessment, according to the output we want to show.
Also in each area and date is different.

For me, we need to let the people represent their area as they want (and
in Cite Soleil it is an area at risk, and they are mapping several
object, garbage, most flooded area, school, .... ) and perhaps the
scientific world forget something to mention on a Micro Level. I guess
for the macro level we have a lot of information sometime.

1- We will need perhaps to see which attribute and object is important
to collect and can be part of the OSM data collection plan for each
country.

2- See the other project , in haiti we start with Coopi/IRD to help us
with the methodology base on their work in Lima
Perouhttp://bvpad.indeci.gob.pe/doc/pdf/esp/doc1751/doc1751.htm  or

http://www.crid.or.cr/digitalizacion/pdf/spa/doc18505/doc18505.htm  and
we hope we can share with them again.

3 -- For DRR topic, we have a lot to share with Indonesia. For my side,
I am working in a watershed in PaP with a flight camera (image 4cm
resolution, DEM 10 cm /Lidar) for hydrology model (workflow with arcgis
HEC plugin etc...). And we try to simplify those workflow. Etc...USGS
are working on it http://wmp.gsfc.nasa.gov/workshops/p-Verdin_WB2012.pdf

The goal is to see how OSM data can help local entity and community in
their daily life. : ) so it will be a long discussion

All the best fred M