[HOT] Pakistan Anti-Mapping Legislation: Implications for HOT/OSM

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 17:14:26 GMT 2012

I agree. I don't think rolling over and complying is a good idea. It doesn't really fit well with the principles of OpenStreetMap to my mind. We want free and open data, and the right to re-use and re-distribute it freely. Doesn't it go without saying that we also stand up for the right to collect and maintain it freely? As Alex says I would guess that they would make the process prohibitively expensive and onerous, or just reject OSM outright.

I'd be more inclined to use channels like the HOT blog or the OpenStreetMap foundation blog to put out a statement or launch a campaign speaking against the new laws. ...If the local OpenStreetMap community wish it.

But it might make matters worse. Perhaps it's best just to lay low for a while. We've seen similar bad laws introduced in Egypt, China, Russia, and (from what Kate said) Indonesia too. It seems to me that these are short-lived news stories stemming from some hot-headed politicians, but don't end up being an absolute blocker for OpenStreetMap's progress in the long run.

Harry