[HOT] [OSM-talk] Problem with an Etrex 20

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Fri Nov 30 09:32:36 GMT 2012

On 19/11/2012 20:50, Kevin Peat wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2012 7:32 PM, "Tim Waters" <chippy2005 at gmail.com
> <mailto:chippy2005 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > The supplied cable is a small one, about 1ft long, if that helps.
>
> Same here, I have a 20 and it only mounts with the supplied cable
> which is about 15cm.

On a some forums I noticed a few reports of Garmin devices misbehaving
with standard USB cables - for example charging but not supporting data
transfer. As far as I could find, this does not look like Garmin
misimplementing the USB specification at the electrical level but could
be an issue with Garmin connectors just fitting better : some other
cables might connect the VBUS wire and maybe the ground wire correctly,
thus powering the device while sometimes having at least one of the
other pins loose - thus interfering with data transfer.

Try with the Garmin cable to test this hypothesis. If the data transfer
succeeds, then testing other cables might be interesting to determine
what connector shapes hinder proper seating.

Or just wiggle the connector... That may work too !