[HOT] Experience with JOSM being blocked by an IT set up and ways forward

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Oct 31 15:09:44 GMT 2012

Hi Everyone,

So the issue was an automatic proxy configuration. The way we fixed it
was the following.

1. Go to http://wpad/wpad.dat on the computer
2. Open the resulting wpad.dat file in a text editor
3. Read the proxy setting out of the file
4. Open JOSM
5. Go to Preferences
6. Go to Connection settings
7. Go to Proxy settings Tab
8. Change to "manually configure a HTTP proxy
9. Enter proxy settings from wpad.dat file

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else someday. Not quite sure
what to do with this information. Perhaps there needs to be a basic
JOSM troubleshooting guide for field conditions for things like this.

Best,

-Kate

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> One of our experiences in Indonesia is many of the governments and
> universities use proxies. The system proxy settings from Windows are
> not automatically used in JOSM.  We had to manually set the proxy
> settings in the preferences.
>
> -Kate
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Sébastien Pierrel
> <sebastien.pierrel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I haven't seen such a message yet. Just a thought: how do web browsers and
>> other programs access to the internet? Look for proxy settings.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Seb.
>>
>> On Oct 30, 2012 8:59 AM, "nicolas chavent" <nicolas.chavent at hotosm.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Hope you are all well. Does anyone already experienced an IT environment
>>> where JOSM is blocked. This leaves you with no way to download data/
>>> imagery/ plugins etc (error message : Failed to upload to or download data
>>> from the osm api due to a problem with transfering data. Details
>>> (unstranslated) connect times out¨ And has identified ways through.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> --
>>> Nicolas Chavent
>>> Acting Project Director