[HOT] Access to ArcGIS and Testing the HOT Export Tool

Stéphane Henriod s at henriod.info
Thu Apr 18 08:06:03 UTC 2013

Hi Maning

this is probably due to happen with any ArcGIS version.

I'd just like to add that this is not a major blocking issue.

ArcGIS will still be able to open, display and use the data. It will
however not be able to automatically align it properly with other datasets
that are using other coordinate systems. It will also not be able to
calculate distances and surfaces. For all this, the user needs to manually
define the coordinate system.

I would assume that this isn't a problem for advanced GIS users (like
MapAction) but it can be confusing for people who don't know so much about
those things.

I would also assume (but needs to be tested) that an ArcGIS-compatible prj
file would then create problems for Qgis.

Stéphane

--
"Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux"
-- Albert Einstein

"A journey does not need reasons. Before long, it proves to be reason
enough in itself. One thinks that one is going to make a journey, yet soon
it is the journey that makes or unmakes you." -- Nicolas Bouvier

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info