[HOT] Kenyan or African OSM community?

Daniel Westergren westis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 05:39:59 UTC 2013

> I created this page to bring together all the developing country tagging
> issues and approaches.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Developing_Country_Infrastructure

Excellent. Good to have somewhere public to discuss issues.

Yea, or maybe just barrier=dry_bush. Would be added to the "Linear
> Barriers" section.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Barrier

Ok, I can add it there with a photo example.

> > I'd also suggest to add the intermittent tag to the HOT presets for
> rivers and streams. Virtually all rivers and streams in northern Kenya are
> intermittent. Possibly combine the preset with the
> > seasonal tag.
>
> Makes sense, looks like there are a couple approaches in use.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent

Yeah, now also discussed in another thread here.

> For making a change in the HOT presets, fork the github repo, make the
> change we think works best, and make the pull request. Should be able to do
> all of that from within your web browser, let me know if I can help.
>
> https://github.com/hotosm/presets

Ok, will try to add intermittent and seasonal, and possibly add some
instructions based on the outcome of the other thread.

> Lastly I'd suggest a consensus on when to use highway=track or
> highway=residential within villages. In small villages where the "road" is
> more of a track, only suitable for 4WD's, then it
> > feels more logical using track even within residential areas. It makes
> it stand out from "real roads".
> I agree, highway=residential denotes something different. But then, how to
> differentiate highway=track, which might connect a great distance, between
> something within a village? Or do we even need to differentiate these two?

I don't think we really need to differentiate if a track is within a
village or not. It's not always easy to know where the village begins and
ends and a track is a track. And a track mainly for cars that connects one
village to another should possibly be highway=unclassified, in combination
with surface=unpaved or similar? Although the wiki
says<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified>
for
UK: "UK: unsurfaced country roads ("green lanes") should be tagged as
highway=track if they are unfit for standard motorcar usage but available
to 4x4, bikes and foot usage."

More difficult might be to differentiate between a track and a path,
although I suppose tracktype=<grade1-5> (and/or smoothness?) could be used
to tell how good it is for vehicles. But in a small village even a path
might be used by 4WD's...

Details perhaps, but interesting and somehow important nevertheless.

/Daniel