[HOT] OSM Certification Process

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Mon Dec 16 06:05:16 UTC 2013

Frans and Alex,

There are 37 contributors on LearnOSM that is hardly Emir and I(1).
Neither of us even wrote the majority of the original materials.

Many people have forked the materials and then made pull requests,
opened tickets, etc.  The reason there are multiple documents is
everything has been moved to Github now, the Google docs is old
information and will not be maintained. The reason for that was to do
the process more openly. All of the LearnOSM materials are licensed
CC0 so you are free to use and contribute anyway you want.

There are additional materials here simply because the goal is to have
a cohesive program for using QGIS/InaSAFE and OSM together(2). If you
want to know specifically what we have been up to there are plenty of
blog posts available to read as well(3).

As for the certification I said one sentence in a meeting yesterday
and I think it has been blown way out of proportion. We had proposed
certifying students in data collection as part of the Scenario
Development for Contingency Planning (SD4CP) program for next year.
That is it, no requirements have been developed.  We plan to partner
with universities once again no requirements have been developed
either. That will begin around January for us providing our proposal
is accepted.

We are more than happy to meet with you at a mutually agreeable time.

Thanks,

-Kate

(1) https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm/graphs/contributors
(2) https://github.com/aifdr/inasafe-doc