[HOT] New Task: Carles Post-Disaster Tracing

Banick, Robert Robert.Banick at redcross.org
Thu Dec 19 03:06:00 UTC 2013

Hello All,

Greetings from Manila.

As efforts to alleviate the damages from Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda in the Philippines shift from response to recovery the need for detailed, precise information about damages and recovery rates has become more pressing. Agencies are still investing lots in mass-distribution style emergency shelter relief but are already looking at the next stage of "supporting self-recovery" activities and the eventual move towards permanent shelter solutions.

One of the more affected municipalities in Haiyan's path is Carles, on the Northeastern tip of Panay Island. Much like the islands of neighboring municipality Estancia to the south, the exposed islands of Carles and the buildings along its shores were hit hard by the typhoon. Survivors are doing an inspiring job of putting their lives in order and moving on but the need for assistance and support is still real. We've create a task to support this process at: http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/392

To support that assistance process we'd like to assess the damages at a building-by-building level. Our hope is to better target assistance from aid agencies in the area, track reconstruction progress at a building level and verify the accuracy of these assessments through OSM for future work.

Thanks to the continued generosity of the U.S. State Department, we've been able to procure post-disaster imagery for the municipality of Carles on the northeast tip of Panay Island. Please download the imagery into your editing software of choice and be sure to insert the necessary tags to recognize the NextView license's part in the data so created.

Many thanks to all of you for your contributions and continued support. I cannot speak enough to how well received OSM is by government, NGOs and companies alike here. This operation represents a huge leap forward in terms of the credibility and recognition of OSM for disaster response purposes.

Best,
Robert

Robert Banick | Field GIS Coordinator | International Services | Ì American Red Cross<http://www.redcross.org/>
2025 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20006
Tel 202-303-5017 | Cell 202-805-3679 | Skype robert.banick