[HOT] CAR Activation; experienced mappers to finish the import of UNICEF data?

Severin MENARD severin.menard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 14:52:15 UTC 2013

Hi Paul,

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 13:57:39 -0800
> From: "Paul Norman" <penorman at mac.com>
> To: "'Rafael Avila Coya'" <ravilacoya at gmail.com>,
>         <hot at openstreetmap.org>
> Cc: imports at openstreetmap.org, data at osmfoundation.org
> Subject: Re: [HOT] CAR Activation;      experienced mappers to finish the
>         import of UNICEF data?
>
> > From: Rafael Avila Coya [mailto:ravilacoya at gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: [HOT] CAR Activation; experienced mappers to finish the
> > import of UNICEF data?
> >
> > Hi again:
> >
> > I am just importing the data for a tile as a test (the one that has
> > Berb?rati town in the SE corner ( http://osm.org/go/wJ4HSfE- )).
> >
> > I've seen three things that I am in doubt:
> >
> > In the Education import:
> >
> > 1) All schools have a 'fixme' tag that doesn't make any sense for me,
> > and that I left unchanged. They are like fixme=16.9603;7.62196 . They
> > look geolocation data, but they don't match with the latitude/longitude
> > of the place at all. One example is this node (?cole Saint Beris):
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2590517305
>
> I had a look at this and there are a number of tags which are not in the
> Proposal which was consulted on with imports at .
>
> Please hold off doing any more of these imports until these issues get
> Resolved, or the changes are consulted on.

What are these tags? Only the three admin levels? I figured out they were
in the data (We were three people to process the data along the workflow
and seems we missed this) and actually not in what had been described in
the wikipage so I added it a few days ago in the wikipage, thinking it was
not a big deal. The key may be improved though, what do you think?
Otherwise, I also added what had been considered by us from the beginning
after discussion with UNICEF.

This issue reminds me we asked the Import WG where we should publish the
original data so that it could be available for anyone to check during the
validation process, but we did not get an answer. Is there an official
repository? Ideally, it would be one run by the OSMF, so that we are sure
the original data would be always available.

Sincerely,

Severin

> Also, for the fixme, I'd suggest deleting it when you've got the position
> right.

Yes. I would say it is not so frequent we are 100% because 1 some education
and health facilities, are sometimes built in traditional materials and
small, so they do not distinguish from the rest of the buildings. Large
compounds and visible well are the ones of which we are totally sure. And
sometimes for a same facility, both the school or health center and its
water point have the same coordinates (because some surveyors just took one
waypoint per facility), so it would make sense to inform the location is
not totally accurate.