[HOT] Mali Activation

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 1 20:02:37 GMT 2013

We started to map for Mali in april 2012 and have intensified this
work following the conflict in december 2012. In the context of the present military actions in north of Mali, the humanitarian
situation is very complex and the number of displaced people is still
increasing. We told you recently that we were considering moving to a
formal Activation.

Both the humanitarian organizations working in Mali and OCHA-Mali emphasized the remarkable work done by HOT contributors for Mali so far. And at the request of OCHA-Mali and these humanitarian organisations, we start
today the Activation for Mali. See the Blog update http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2013-02-01_mali_activation.

I will lead this Activation with  Frédéric Bonifas. We are asked to geolocate various Basic Services Utilities (ie.
Health facilities, Schools, Water points) provided in various files. We are looking for
volunteers to help us on this topic and solutions to geolocate efficiently the various Basic Services Utilities. The wiki page for Mali will be updated for this (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2012_Mali_Crisis).

We will pursue the
base mapping of various areas through the HOT Task Manager..You can follow the progress of this HOT Activation through the HOT Blog Updates, as well as on the HOT
mailing list
With  DR Congo and Syria, this is the third Activation ungoing plus various country projects were
HOT contributors are sollicited to map remotely. We will also look fo other contributions from people experienced with OSM
editing.

And thanks a lot for this great work.

Pierre