[HOT] Mali Activation : Discussion on #hot irc Today

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 18 20:09:32 GMT 2013

Yes Norman,

the various OSM  #irc are open to anybody that connect and this is very interesting to communicate with the other contributors. For the various HOT Activations, we use this irc channel to coordinate our activities. This is also for people to find help, ask various questions. It is social and fun too.

For detailed information, see the wiki page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IRC

As explained, you need an irc client software. A wikipedia page describes these.

I use KVirc 4.2 software on Windows and it works fine. There are many other softwares for various OS.

You simply select a nickname and connect to #hot channel on irc://irc.oftc.net.

Once connected, you see the discussion rolling over.  To discuss, you simply type text to present yourself and participate to the discussion.  If you want to adress the message to a specific person, you simply type is nickname with two dots, for example,  nickname: Refering to you previous discussion, ...

Thats easy. Join in.

Pierre

>________________________________
> De : Norman Rathmann <info at laxmi-reisen.de>
>À : HOT at openstreetmap.org
>Envoyé le : Lundi 18 février 2013 14h47
>Objet : Re: [HOT] Mali Activation : Discussion on #hot irc Today
>

>can everybody join?
>i never used IRC
>
>Significant progress have been made in some part of Mali. We also think that it is important to discuss with some humanitarians to better coordinate for this Activation.
>>

>>There will be a discussion today on hot irc irc://irc.oftc.net/hot with humanitarians from Bamako at 21:30 GMT.
>>see http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=%23irc+meeting+with+friends+from+Bamako&iso=20130218T2130&p1=29
>>

>>Pierre
>>

>>>________________________________
>>> De : Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
>>>À : HOT Openstreetmap <hot at openstreetmap.org>
>>>Envoyé le : Samedi 16 février 2013 16h32
>>>Objet : [HOT] Mali Activation : Crowdsourcing API Testing
>>>

>>>It is starting to bubble-up on the #hot irc for Mali Activation.  I will come back later to present you the progress. There is a very dynamic team supporting us through the hot irc channel. A lot of populated places and residential areas have been added to the map. Plus we should have an interesting meeting monday at 16:30 (GMT).
>>>

>>>Today, PovAddict is developping a Crowdsource API to randomly show Bing imagery to determine if a specific information is present (ie. village, road, etc.).
>>>
>>>See api http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/mali-crowdsource/
>>>
>>>osm example of file of result that can be imported in JOSM
>>>http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/crowdsource-nodes.osm
>>>
>>>This is very simple to use and fun. It could
                        probably be used for promotion of HOT and
                        Activations.