[HOT] What is a HOT Project

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Thu Feb 28 07:52:16 UTC 2013

Hi All,

So there is often confusion about "what is a HOT project?" Sometimes
local country level groups say they are HOT or others are local
chapters of OpenStreetMap or maybe the projects work through another
organization.

Let's discuss what this really means.

For example "What is required to say you are a HOT project?" HOT is an
incorporated institution and with this brings us a certain amount of
liability and some responsibility (especially if we become tax exempt
in the United States). So it is important to combine supporting
amazing efforts in OSM with also making sure the organization is in a
good place. How do we balance this?

Also what would be expected if something was listed as a HOT project?
Use of the tasking manager? Blogging on the website? Is there
something else?

I've created a Hackpad here:
https://hackpad.com/HOT-Projects-J05VKUefBoP to work out some of these
ideas.

After we have a few ideas down I'll schedule an IRC meeting to discuss
even more. If you want to discuss on the mailing list or by contacting
me that is also okay and we'll work to get the information into the
document.

Best,

-Kate