[HOT] Central African Republic, use of landcover=bare_earth

dies38061 at mypacks.net dies38061 at mypacks.net
Thu Jan 17 01:09:24 GMT 2013

Thanks for your comments, Jaakko.

My reasoning when along the lines of "track = present due to traffic & bare_earth in the regions noted is only present due to persistent traffic (foot and/or vehicle) => highway=track + area=yes <= it has been proposed that large highways (like, 8 lanes) be rendered as areas rather than ways".  The main intent was to provide indication of an area which provided no impediment to human or vehicular traffic.  Maybe a better approach would be to use a landcover=bare_earth (landcover formally implies area=yes, actually) alone.  The access key relates to legality of access, not accessibility per se; it is the highway key which relates directly to vehicular accessibility ... which leads back to applying an area=yes to a highway=(something).

On a related note is the matter of whether it is worth mapping this ... good question from Filip.  It depends on whether the areas which (in the current imagery) appear _not_ to be bare earth are typically vehicle-accessible.  If they are, then I would say that a) it is OK to have tracks / ways terminating without connection to others and b) it is not at all needed to do what I've done (and I'll remove the bare_earth tags in order to make the map as interpretable as possible).  It boils down to whether there is any worth in re physical accessibility (not legal accessibility) to locations.

Thanks for additional comments.

--Courtland (ceyockey)