[HOT] GPX import failures

Guttorm Flatabø post at guttormflatabo.com
Thu Jan 17 16:07:54 GMT 2013

Hi Claire,

I reply underneath your text:

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Claire Halleux <Claire.du.RGC at gmail.com>wrote:

> 1- Why isn't it working when uploading the tracks on OSM as "Public"
> instead of "Identified"?

The requirement for the GPX files are the same on all levels. The levels
only decide which kind of access other user on OpenStreetMap have to the
uploaded data. So while the GPX has to have "ordered points", they will
only be shown to other users as "unordered points" when you choose the
level where it says so.

2- Is there any recommended solution to still make those tracks useful for
> OSM?

You can always use them personally, by loading them in JOSM and making
roads and what have you other features.

3- Is there a way to prevent Garmin items to "erase" the points timestamps
> while saving the tracks on a handheld unit? (as it seems that was the cause
> of the current issue)

Usually this is a problem if the files have been converted from kml/kmz or
perhaps if they have been saved as routes. Beware that tracks and routes
are not the same on Garmin, and while it is a long time since I've used a
Garmin now I think they all track pretty automatically, so there's no extra
saving required. I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong though.

--
Guttorm