[HOT] HOT activation in Mali

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 25 18:48:46 GMT 2013

The various HOT Task Manager Jobs for Mali are to provide a base map for the humanitarian organizations in this complex humanitarian situation.
Military actions in  north of Mali are still provoking important displacements of people.

see http://tasks.hotosm.org/#all/Mali

There are specific tasks for cities which need a special attention. Other tasks cover large portion of the territory were we identify and trace roads and populated places. There territory to cover is immense. But note that in this semi-desertic area, there may be large zones were no roads or populated places will be found. After validating such areas, simply indicate the task as done. Pay special attention when tracing roads. In desertic areas, you will often see portions of road where drivers are going aside of the main trail. You may find 5, 10 closed traces in parallel and joining at a certain point. It is meaningless to trace all of these. See for example http://binged.it/W7EoA8. We should resume this information with keeping only a central line that represent these various segments.

Humanitarian logistic to deliver goods and services requires to identify rapidly the major infrastructures. To respond to the two prioritites identified below, I suggest that experienced OSM mappers work on these without defining tasks, and simply follow coastlines or highways. Don't hesitate to discuss about your experience mapping these. The #hot chat is always a place to come, discuss and coordinate with other HOT contributors.

1. Major roads that may be used by humanitarians to bring good and services from neighborhood countries and across various regions of Mali. Select a road and use the wiki page to coordinate with other mappers and specify the road you are working on. This way, I expect that we can answer more rapidly to this priority and better harmonize the road network classification.

wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2012_Mali_Crisis

2. Niger river coastline, islands and populated places down from Gao to the Niger border are very roughly traced.  Bing High Res Imagery is available for most of the area.  You will find examples of how to map these areas by looking at what have been done around Gao.

Pierre