[HOT] Central African Republic import of WRI data

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 16:28:56 UTC 2013

I understand the 'bad data worse than no data argument' but I think that
only goes so far.  Having a road on the map that isn't terribly accurate is
unlikely to cause major problems for people.  Having a hospital where none
exists could be a major problem, but for roads I think this is less of an
issue.

Either way of doing the import is fine by me, but my preference would be to
get the data in (especially if there are names or other metadata) and then
just refine the location later on.  We tend, as a community, to focus way
too much on positional accuracy while we omit focus on other forms of
accuracy (topological, metadata, etc).  If the only thing wrong with the
WRI data is the positional accuracy I don't see a problem.  Especially as
it is being imported into a largely empty area of the map.  200 meters
error in the jungle in empty area is no big deal, 200 meters in a densely
mapped urban area would be a much bigger problem.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.  I will defer to the community's assessment of how
to do the import, especially since someone else is doing the work.  ;)  But
I thought I would at least share this insight.

-AndrewBuck