[HOT] Central African Republic import of WRI data

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 2 17:45:30 UTC 2013

To my point of view, you should never import blankly. If its just a problem of accuracy, I agree that with a 200 meters error in a desertic area, it may still be helpful to import. But other then that, if we are not sure about the quality of the data, if the roads exist really, we should not import just to replace blank spots.

I have too often seen roads imported for Africa that correspond to nothing on the ground. I have tried to follow these roads in mountains and passed long time to evaluate thee. And since we dont have that many mappers, and that it's time consuming to evaluate the accuracy of such long roads crossing countries and correct / delete these, we often end up with these incorrect roads sitting in the database because the contributors do not want to pass that many time evaluating and correcting this.

Therefore, it is important to take time to plan such imports, to take time to evaluate accuracy. It is sometime better to have nothing then anything.  This indicates that some work is still to be done. We dont map just to cover the map.  It take much less time to add new roads with good quality data then to try to evaluate and correct bad data imports.

Pierre