[HOT] UAVs

Joseph Pollack josephrichardpollack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 19:56:52 UTC 2013

Dear Hotties,

I've been periodically (every 3-6 months or so for 3 year) been posting in
crisis mappers and HOT about using UAVs for mapping and other stuff. I'm
really happy you guys are now talking about it!

I've been looking at low-cost UAVs for a while now, and I think that
technology has reached the maturity whereby we can instrument a rig with
sensors for a total cost of less than 5 thousand dollars. Which means we
can basically start shipping these to wherever VERY cheaply, with a HUGE
impact! This is the state of technology TODAY imho.

I'm immensely keen to contribute in substance to a white paper, a focus
group and so on. And I'm even more keen to start actually fundraising,
buying and instrumenting these in my back yard, at the lab or wherever, and
to start shipping these to groups that can use them. I know a couple, and
I'm sure you guys know of more that could use something like this.

Civilian-led high-res imagery for civilian-initiatives : it's the crowd
watching over itself - we're already here! Let's make this happen. Kindly
consider me a ressource for however you're deciding to run with this. But
let's run with this most definitely!

Warm Regards,

-Joseph.