[HOT] Offset error in the newly updated Bing Imagery

amrit karmacharya amrit.im at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 10:08:14 UTC 2013

Over the last several months, we have mapped all the schools and health
facilities here in Kathmandu, Nepal mostly visiting the ground with GPS.
We, OSM Nepal Community, are now experiencing imagery offset error in the
new Bing images (updated from 2/22/2011 to 11/22/2012) in Kathmandu,
Capital of Nepal (27.699080 lat, 85.317337 lon) leading to positional
displacement of all the mapped features.  Although image offsets vary with
places and terrain, the offset we now see seems to be beyond the acceptable
limits. Could the new image be aligned to the existing data?

Further, previous image had a bluish shade and was easier to  identify
features on image. The new imagery have greenish haze making it more
difficult to identify features even to expert mappers. Can this issue be
addressed as well?

The Bing Imagery has been updated recently, just a few days ago we believe.

Amrit Karmacharya