[HOT] UAVs

Eric SIBERT courrier at eric.sibert.fr
Mon Jul 15 20:08:20 UTC 2013

Hi Lukasz,

 > Basically, I don't even know where to start research. I've come up
 > with a list of considerations, but I'm sure there's much more that I'm
 > missing

Have a look at that:

http://www.sensefly.com/home.html

 > * Because of sensitive context, the UAV shouldn't look intimidating -
> a more toy-like appearance is a requirement

Yes.

> * How is the UAV controlled - remote or programmed flight path (i'm
> assuming the latter is rather advanced - and consequently pricey?)

Programmed flight path defined using google map.

> * Can it carry a camera, and how is the camera mounted to ensure
> top-down viewing angles for successful image georeferencing later on

Modified (for remote control) compact camera. Provided with the setup.

> * What camera would be appropriate for the intended use

The one provided.

> * Based on a quick calculation, it looks to me that with a typical
> wide angle lens (28mm-equivalent) the side image is about half of
> camera distance (so in this case - elevation). This means that if I
> want to capture a 1x1km area, the camera should fly 2km above ground.
> This doesn't seem to be feasible both because of flight height and
> off-nadir angles, so it probably means a lot of smaller images and
> then stitching?

Have a look at their website for what can be done in term of resolution
and covered area. They use stitching.

> * Finally, just as a general guideline, the budget I'd have is rather
> fluid. If a workable solution can be achieved for a few thousand -
> great, but if something vastly superior can be done for 10k, I would
> definitely consider that as well

10k of what? ;-)

They told me about 15 k€ for the ebee with stitching software.

> However, in order not to get in over my head, I was thinking that a
> DJI Phantom which seems to be all the rage on the internet these days,
> fitted with a Pentax WG-3 (which has interval shooting mode) looks
> like a set that could provide genuinely useful results for under a
> thousand EUR - or am I completely off the mark here?

We may imagine cheaper planes that the above mentioned one. I just
discovered 3D printed plane:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20737-3d-printing-the-worlds-first-printed-plane.html#.UeRWOawvjaI

Éric