[HOT] [Talk-us] Black Forest Fire Update

Murry McEntire murry.mcentire at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 05:39:54 UTC 2013

The Bing images for the area appear to be from 2007
. (I've found a house mid-construction in the Bing images that was finished
in 2007).
So use caution before changing what someone else has entered based solely
on what you see in Bing. It is unlikely many structures disappeared between
2007 and the fire, but some may have increased in size I've added a few new
houses I know exist (or did a few days ago) as simple triangles since I do
not have an aerial image to outline them.

Mapbox Satellite, Mapquest Open Aerial, and USGS Large Scale Imagery have
the 2007 house finished but none have a house finished 2 years ago. Images
are much fuzzier, so I'd go with Bing unless someone can suggest something
better.

Interpolating addresses may have difficulties - many houses are not
associated with the closest street,  and  some lots are behind another for
the same street.
I'm entering addresses where I have them - including nodes next to the
street for vacant lots.
Debating if I should put a "note=vacant lot" on them.

I'm checking on an OSM license compatible access to a source of addresses;
will let you know if It comes through.

Addresses of destroyed houses are available; is there some tag or a note
that should (or could) be used  for a short period of time as opposed to
removing the house outline? It could be very useful to know for a month or
so where a destroyed house once was.  Even with the house gone, the address
is still valid for the lot, so no one should delete addresses.

Murry