[HOT] HOT/HDM web rendering

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 17:28:01 UTC 2013

Yohan can speak for himself if he's on his emails from Haiti, but I think I can answer some of these questions.

Roger Banick said:
> if we have anything else in mind that might merit a place on the map, would we be able to discuss with you all further
> and/or assist with symbology? We’re eager to be contributors and not just users

Yohan's been beavering away on this on github, https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS
including making use of the 'issues' to guide his work, so I guess he'll welcome your suggestions (and pull requests!) there.

> Fran said:
> I'd be keen to make this the default basemap for Sahana deployments.
> You say that you'll be adding more countries - do you see this server
> as being one which will be a reliable/scalable service we can point
> users at or should we look to set that up elsewhere?

Good question Fran.  I don't he's making any promises about the availability and scalability of his umpa.fluv.io server  .  Stephanie was also suggesting it be hosted at a shorter more explicit URL (This is trivial for a web map, but this suggestion applies to the tiles themselves)

In general HOT would like to firm up some of the services we're using/dependent upon, hence this idea of having a sysadmin to install and oversee things: http://hot.openstreetmap.org/hot_tech_challenge_services_set_up_monitoring_and_administration    A tile server with this custom rendering could be such a "high availability" service. I think that would be a good idea. We wouldn't necessarily want to install mapnik & diff updating somewhere though, because we have a free Mapbox account, so that would be easiest. To be discussed.

Harry Wood