[HOT] [CrisisMappers] knight civic media session

Jeffrey Warren warren at mit.edu
Sun Jun 23 16:22:06 UTC 2013

2 big ones from the Public Lab perspective:

A) Citizen collected data as a piece in the government transparency puzzle
-- i.e. that citizens' ability to independently collect, interpret, and
publish their own data can play a role in keeping government (and industry)
accountable. Government transparency (or Big Data, for that matter) doesn't
have to be a one-way street!

B) *Community-directed* citizen data collection, where those collecting the
data are also involved in framing questions, interpreting results, and
advocating for change based on the data, rather than simply being
mechanical "data collection sources" or data points themselves. This model
should be more championed in contrast to the centralized "we collect all
the data and make decisions on the behalf of the public" model.

I'll be there tonight through Tuesday, love to catch up!

Jeff