[HOT] HOT OSM in education

Jonas Shorn shornjonas at googlemail.com
Tue May 7 10:09:43 UTC 2013

Hi Heather, hi all,

thanks for linking into the topic!

Types of research:
- develop toolkits for integrating HOT OSM into Disaster Risk Reduction
programs in a "standardized" way (of course, each DRR program is highly
dependent on regional context, culture and environment)
- How can we use OSM and HOT humanitarian (geo-)data model to support the
collection of Element-at-Risk data
- Conduct studies on how HOT model could be integrated better with other
V&TCs (SBTF, DHN-entities) in terms of volunteer "management", activation
criteria, interaction during emergencies and post-and pre-emergency
situations, data-exchange and collaboratorive work

...These are just preliminary thoughts... :-) Would be more than happy to
further discuss that, especially with keeping in mind to integrate HOT OSM
and CrisisMapping in general more thoroughly in undergraduata and graduate
programs concerned (directly or indirectly) with Disaster Risk Management
and Humanitarian Help and mybe also International Development Work.

HOT research environment:
- share reading lists
- google+ hangouts or other ways of exchanging ideas
- Organize V&TC meetings dedicated to research at conferences (ICCM?) or
organize an own conference?
- research fund?

I also think the potential for HOT in research could be extended when
integrating other models of other V&TCs and/or organizations (SBTF hat on
now ;-) )

Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Svend-Jonas