[HOT] HOT OSM in education (Om Goeckermann)

Om G om.imap at gmail.com
Tue May 7 17:45:20 UTC 2013

Great to see this initiative and the push for teaching easy-to-learn skills of geographic interest.

I have been working to illustrate how GIS aware display of information is relevant to fields like history, economics, sociology, anthropology, math studies, marketing, business management etc. we all know the list goes on and on.

Having a useful map+data display allows insights into the body of existing information that can greatly aid comprehension and lead to significant novel insights.

I'd really like to see OSM and complementary data collectors/API's made available for use in educational settings since I believe it will add value to existing curricular materials. Educators can share ideas easier and make concepts more relevant to students.

I also feel that a wide range of students across disciplines will be able to make good use of spatial analytics training in their own careers.