[HOT] HOT response to Cascadia Earthquake

Danijel Schorlemmer osm at schorlemmer.net
Wed Nov 20 17:10:30 UTC 2013

Hi David,

> You see, I am unclear on whether HOT would engage in a North American
> disaster, because perhaps the relevant response agencies already have all
> their GIS requirements fulfilled, and they would not call upon HOT to
> respond.

I did not say that HOT would not engage in North America. I'm not
participating in the coordination of HOT and thus cannot judge the priorities
the HOT may have. My argument was simply that preparatory work for the event
you referred to would be equally important in many regions of the world. And,
in fact, the US may be better prepared than other countries. Still, I would
consider after-event mapping very valuable as a HOT action.

I guess, somebody from the HOT coordination can better clarify the situation.

Cheers

-danijel