[HOT] HOT stick (Portable Apps) for Training/Workshops

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 10:25:11 UTC 2013

Dear HOTties,

Thanks to all the suggestions.  One point I would like to clarify.

Why not a LiveCD or a Virtual Machine image?
The idea is for people to use existing resources (windows machine) and
have all OSM tools already available.  By OSM tools, we mean mostly
for editing/contributing not really for development so installing
developer tools like Mapnik or a tile rendering are not necessary.

We expect an additional training effort if we get them started with a
liveCD/VMs because of the new OS interface they need to understand.
PortableApps are better since you can use it in other machines such as
internet cafes to edit.  Some of our participants don't own a computer
at home and internet cafes are the common way for them to use
computers.

Anyway, we started doing this and a download is available here:
https://github.com/essc/osm_stick/  (almost 500 MB because of Java)
In our test, everything works OK (tested on XP, Win7 32 and 64bits).
QGIS seems to be the more difficult to install (will try that later).

Are there other applications you think we can add?

cheers,
maning