[HOT] Kumusha Takes Wiki

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Thu Oct 10 09:57:00 UTC 2013

Hello far away peers,

This email is to present a new project and ask for support from you guys :)
Several people suggested that I join this list for this.

My name is Florence Devouard. Woman of 45. Living in France (Marseille).
Been involved in Wikipedia for 11 years, under many different roles
(was chair of the board of Wikimedia Foundation after Jimmy Wales.
Co-funded Wikimedia France. And well, many other things).
I currently work with Isla Haddow Flood from South Africa.

We designed a project called Kumusha Takes Wiki and got some funding
from Orange Fondation to start it.
You'll find a presentation of it
here:https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kumusha_Takes_Wiki

To make it short, we are going to hire "Wikipedians in Residence" for about
one year. Each of them will be hosted in a different country (right now,
specifically looking for Uganda and Ivory Coast). Their goal will be to
activate communities to create and contribute freely-licensed information,
texts, images and media about their communities (villages, townships,
suburbs, inner cities, etc). Part of their activity will be to organize
local events during which people will discover open knowledge, Wikimedia
projects and OpenStreetMap project and be invited to participate of course.
Looking for the right people to be our WiR should occur ... very soon.

Once the WiR are hired, they will receive several weeks training in Africa
Centre in SA (that shall be this fall). After that time, they will go to
the
chosen countries (Uganda and Ivory Coast), and implement the plan.

In terms of practical competencies, the WiR will need to know the basics
about OSM (what is it, what is for, benefits etc. no need to enter in big
technical details), will need to know how to organize mapping parties, and
will need to know how to inject information back into the project. Ideally,
they should become trainers themselves so that a couple of people in the
chosen countries can themselves become organizers of mapping parties.
If they are so gifted they can help crafting maps from the data. But I
would
not see this as a mandatory point.

We need to find a way to get them acquire these competencies. At best, an
informed OSM person will come to Africa Centre and train them. At worse, if
we identify online resources that could summarize what they need to know
with regards to the basics (I'm sure there is such thing), we'll manage
this
way; but they would still need to acquire the practical skills (and
usually,
a good way to do that is to participate to mapping parties and see how
it is
done...).

In any cases, we are looking for solutions to help them get started :)
And right now, neither Isla nor I are very knowledgeable on that topic...

Can you help ?

Best

Florence