[HOT] Droid app for mapping

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 10 12:33:53 UTC 2013

2013/10/10 maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Coming off from a training with the staff of a local government, we
> realized that there are more smartphones than GPS units.
> As an initial test, we showed them how to use the default phototagging
> feature as a tool for collecting field data.  In some cases,
> this turned out to be unreliable which I already encountered in the past [0].
>
> Our plan is to create a learning material about using smartphones
> (preferably free download, opensource and, android-based) we can
> distribute to the participants.
> What OSM mapping app do you use for your phones?
>
> So far I've seen the following:
> 1. GPS Essentials - too many features IMO and can overwhelm new users
> 2. OSMAnd - good offline maps routable map based on OSM, haven't
> tested the mapping tools other than the OSMbug reporting
> 3. GPSlogger - simple lightweight datalogger
> 4. Keypadmapper - only for housenumber mapping, I've seen a mention of
> phototagging in newer versions but haven't tested.
> 5. OSMtracker - not yet tested
> 6. Vespucci - not yet tested
>
> Any other app?
>
> [0] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/maning/diary/17935

For OSM data, OSMtracker is really good one and the integration with
JOSM is perfect. I've never used OSMand for anything else than
consuming data.

Maybe you can check Geopaparazzi, it's free software and the main
developer is really friendly and supportive (Andrea Antonello is also
a uDig developer).

http://moovida.github.io/geopaparazzi/

Best regards

--