[HOT] Walls in Pakistan villages

Daniele Venzano linux at brownhat.org
Mon Oct 14 15:41:21 UTC 2013

Yes, I had the same problem: what to do with paths overlapping wadis...
In the end I decided to draw both the wadi and a highway=path, trying to
follow the imagery as close as possible.

I marked some compounds I found as residential areas, without drawing
the single buildings, in the mountains, especially on the east side of
the valley. I thought that on the map they would be much more visible
than just a few small buildings.

I'm following the wadi's valleys up in the mountains looking for
villages, sometimes I have had success also following paths, but it is
much harder.

In this situation (a valley) I think it could be of great help for the
mappers to have some panoramic/landscape photos, to understand for
example, how steep the valley really is, if the paths are suitable for
vehicles or not.

Thanks,
Daniele

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 09:03:01PM -0400, Tom Taylor wrote:
> I couldn't decide what to do with what certainly appeared to be
> water flow paths because sometimes it appeared they were being used
> as tracks.
>
> TomT5454
>
> On 12/10/2013 9:48 AM, dies38061 at mypacks.net wrote:
> >Hello - I have been prone to including walls in the mapping, not because
> >they help to delineate travel routes (access to contents of walled
> >compounds) but because of the apparent protection they would provide
> >against flooding as the areas I have mapped appear to be in the midst
> >of intermittent heavy water flows (and I have been tracing major
> >apparent waterflow paths as waterway=wadi).
> >
> >However, I agree that this is not part of the minimum to be counted
> >toward completion of an area.  I've found a few areas where an editor
> >has marked an area as done with the completion note something like 'but
> >buildings are not mapped' -- I've reverted these completions and
> >returned the areas to the work pool.  I suggest that upon closing an
> >area, you indicate "compound walls present but not mapped", again though
> >as a non-essential addition to the commentary on a region.
> >
> >Regards -- ceyockey (Courtland)

Daniele Venzano
http://www.brownhat.org