[HOT] Humanitarian Innovation Fund Proposal Brainstorming Chat

Laurent Savaete laurent.savaete at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 10:45:27 UTC 2013

Hi Kate,

The map of Kalemie (http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/312) produced by the HOT
team via the task manager is simply the best map of the city that has ever
existed.
Still, my perspective on things (as seen from Congo) is that HOT needs
better (simpler) tools to make use of OSM data in the field.

I'll just give a couple of examples of workflows that have been complicated
for me:
- I've had to print maps of the city we work in showing boundaries of
health areas. These are not in OSM (I was told before that they probably
don't belong there), so to get an A2 sized map of each of them, I've had to
get osm data in postgis, fix tilemill (with ybon's help on irc), and write
a python script (and later fork tilemill to add what I wanted) in order to
produce the map I needed (HDM rendering with custom shapefile overlayed). I
don't think this is a particularly weird usecase, however it has required
lots of (technical) work. If we could get the same job done in 10 minutes
by a non-coder, it would bring tremendous value for the field.
- alternatively, if I could render HDM in QGIS as a baselayer, maybe that
would do the trick, though I like tilemill customization capabilities
- making maps easily converted to Garmin basemaps with HDM rendering would
be great. If I could get a custom layer thrown in (say boundaries for each
team's work area), it would be fantastic!

Now to top it up, if I could use these tools offline (download osm data
once, then run unplugged), I'd be happiest OSM user around :) There's a
handful of nice tools online, but you rarely get 4G mobile internet in the
field!

Then make all these tools as easy to install as firefox, and it's a killer!

cheers,
Laurent