[HOT] printing HDM map from osm

Laurent Savaëte laurent.savaete at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 21:48:09 UTC 2013

Hello hello,

I am currently at http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-5.9185/29.1926,
working for MSF/Doctors without borders.
We're gearing up in preparation for a cholera vaccination campaign, and
quite possibly other emergency actions as the annual cholera epidemic is
looming around.
I have spent several days updating OSM both remotely and locally to get
a decent map of the city (there's still a lot to do though), but I'm now
stuck trying to get a usable printout.
I've tried several options (maperitive, maposmatic, osm bright/tilemill,
QGIS import...) but nothing seems to work (I want a pdf output so I can
print on several A4 pages and tape them together, showing streetnames
and other landmarks). Ideally, I'd get
https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS to work, but same thing there, no
luck despite following the readme. I'd love to give some more detailed
symptoms, but all I can say is:
- errors in tilemill due to hardcoded paths (/home/ybon/...)
- no visible reaction from tilemill after I close the error messages
I'm on a satellite connection (ie: pretty slow and expensive) so this
might explain the absence of reaction.

I think this is not the official help channel for HDM-cartoCSS, but I
hope this will reach the right people. I'd be immensely grateful for any
help getting this to work (is there a detailed tutorial out there for
places other than Haiti?), or suggestions on an alternative solution for
printing out an osm based map (that does not involve downloading huge
data!).

Thanks in advance,
Laurent