[HOT] Detailed mapping of Kalemie/DRC

Laurent Savaete laurent.savaete at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 11:15:09 UTC 2013

Hello again HOTties,

Following up on my previous email, I now have a working tilemill setup
which allows me to print out great maps (using HDM-cartoCSS) of the area.
As I mentioned earlier, cholera is hitting the city regularly, and we have
now entered the "epidemic" stage, with over 40 cases last week.
MSF is planning a cholera vaccination campaign, and the logistics manager
just asked me if I could help print out maps for his vaccination team
leaders to plan their job (for tomorrow...).
The OSM map is getting pretty good, but for this specific action, over 70
teams will be going door to door delivering oral vaccines, so getting as
much detail as possible is key to success.
Ideally, we'd like to give each team a printed map of the area they're
working on, showing landmarks, streets/paths and possibly each house.
The areas we're targetting are both sides of the river Lukuga, reaching
pretty far north, roughly
http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/hot-hdm-style_852#14/-5.9019/29.1829
It would be amazing if we could set up a task manager job for this (I can
send a more accurate shapefile for the area to cover), and get all
buildings and streets added to the map. I'll be adding landmarks from field
surveys to improve the result.

Let me know if you think this is possible.
Thanks a lot!
Laurent