[HOT] HOT stick (Portable Apps) for Training/Workshops

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Thu Sep 26 15:49:31 UTC 2013

Blurting out some thoughts on this.

Dane Springmeyer worked on a "Installer" thing a long time ago:
https://github.com/hotosm/installer
Looks at bit old and Mapnik oriented (and Mapnik's moved on a lot!)
It makes reference to a "HOT Package" page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/HOT_Package

More recently we discussed the idea in the tech working group
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Technical/meeting_2013-07-01
And I think mapbox have a neat USB vector tile rendering thing up their sleaves: https://vine.co/v/b0DvTPnpPtw
We also discussed Ushahidi BRCK which has some storage capacity. Could do map caching tricks.

For applications there's a version management challenge. I think an idea we discussed was approaching this as a "build script" problem. You can distribute USB keys with lots of useful and up-to-date software and docs and data if you have a script to pull it all together.

But yes portableapps.com is interesting. I used to find the site very useful back when I developed on windows. I notice they have a development section http://portableapps.com/development to help people "portabalize" apps. A lot of the apps currently listed are quite mass-market. Not sure how JOSM and QGIS would fit into their categories, or whether they would want them on the central portableapps.com listings. Also I don't think they have web applications just a XAMPP server, so I guess installing things like field papers would still need to be scripted outside of that framework.

Harry